Intelligent Compaction Consulting Services
I initially got involved with the Intelligent Compaction of roadways (soils and asphalt materials) in 2007 developing the initial national pooled funded project. I supported The Transtec Group with the national evaluation of the Intelligent Compaction technology. I authored the initial generic specification for IC for Soils and Asphalt Materials. After the initial pooled funded project was completed, I then initiated a follow up study to evaluate the ability of the technology for possible use in the acceptance process for field compaction. I either authored or co-authored a number of papers with the “The Transtec Group” and the Asphalt Institute on Intelligent Compaction.
(See www.intelligentcompaction.com for a listing of all the reports, papers, field evaluations, workshops, webinars, etc.)
In addition, advancement of the technology could not have been accomplished without the cooperation of the four principle manufacturers of Intelligent Compaction rollers. As a result of this relationship and nearly 30 field demonstrations, regional conferences, etc., we have a better understanding of the needs of IC.
IC – The Next Major Innovation to Compaction Control
As your Intelligent Compaction Consultant, it is imperative to have a good understanding of the basics of Intelligent Compaction technology throughout the construction process. Whether full IC or IC “Lite” specifications are used on a particular project the real time information in all applications to the roller operators, project foremen, quality control specialists, or the owner agency has been demonstrated to improve the overall quality of the construction process. IC is a tool and it will not replace good quality control or processes performed by contractors. IC will not fix or correct bad practices. IC is a technology to assist contractors in the execution of the project. IC is the next major innovation to compaction control that will be with us for the next 50 years.
Training in IC is necessary for agencies and contractor personnel. Multiple states have used the generic IC specifications to develop projects and now the AASHTO Specification includes a section calling for training. This Just-In-time Training addresses project level implementation.
Contractor’s personnel that need the training include the paving superintendent, QC technicians and roller operators. Agency personnel shall include the project engineer and field inspectors. The training typically will be 6-8 hours in duration.
Minimum training topics include:
- Background information for the specific IC system(s) to be used
- Setup and checks for IC system(s), GPS receiver, base-station and hand held rovers
- Operation of the IC system(s) on the roller; i.e., setup data collection, start/stop of data recording, and on-board display options.
- Transferring raw IC data from the rollers(s); i.e., via USB connections.
- Operation of vendor’s software to open and view raw IC data files and exporting all-passes and proofing data files in Veta-compatible format. Veta 3.0 (64-bit version) is now available.
- Data Management of the IC operations is significant and training on the use of the updated software “Veta 3.0”. Training includes the Operation of the software to import the exported all-passes and proofing data files, inspection of IC maps, input point test data, perform statistics analysis, and produce reports for project requirements.
What I can provide for you as your Intelligent Compaction Consultant.
As your intelligent compaction consultant, I can provide Intelligent Compaction Technology Transfer and/or Overall Program Coordination, Training for using Intelligent Compaction Technology, Project/Program Field Evaluations, Just-In-Time-Training, Field Support for Intelligent Compaction Implementation and Real-Time Field Support in many areas related to Intelligent Compaction.
Contact me to get started.