Highway Asphalt Pavement Consultant
When choosing an Asphalt Pavement Consultant, experience matters. My background includes working for the Federal Highway Administration for over 42 years and was involved in multiple aspects of highway programs particularly related to construction, pavements and materials. After taking a position in the Headquarters office, I became involved in various subject areas including and not limited to advancing new technologies such as Intelligent Compaction for soils and asphalt materials, In-Place Recycling activities, National Highway Institute, Material Recycling, and Asphalt Materials Forensic Activities for states and local governments.
Presentations and Construction Specifications
I have made 50+ presentations throughout the US and Internationally on Intelligent Compaction, Quality Assurance Programs, Recycling of Materials, Reclaimed Asphalt Pavements (RAP), Reclaimed Asphalt Shingles, Reclaimed Rubber, and various Slag products as well as asphalt (HMA, WMA) materials. My background also includes coordination with and the advancement of In-Place Recycling Technologies that include:
- Cold in Place (CIR);
- Cold Central Plant Recycling (CCPR);
- Full Depth Recycling (FDR);
- and various Hot in Place Recycling (HIR) Programs.
As an asphalt pavement consultant, I work with many states and local governments to prepare construction specifications that incorporate Quality Assurance Programs, Recycled Materials, In-Place Recycling, Intelligent Compaction for the states and AASHTO for the development of Specifications on RAP, Shingles (RAS), HMA Quality Control and Intelligent Compaction.
I have experience with the development and execution of several national contracts to advance Asphalt Materials Technologies, RAP, RAS, Rubber, and other recyclable materials associated with the advancement of sustainable materials use through the Industrial Resources Council.
Professional Affiliations and Positions
- Current Chair of Transportation Research Board (TRB) AFH60 Committee on Asphalt Construction and Materials
- Principle author of TRB Electronic Circular on Warranties; EC-154 entitled “Development of Warranty Programs for Hot-Mix Asphalt Pavements” for TRB Committee AFH20
- Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT)
- International Society of Asphalt Pavements (ISAP)
- Canadian Technical Asphalt Association (CTAA)
- FHWA Expert Task Groups (ETGs)
I have authored over 50 reports that include the following:
- 32 Peer Reviewed Research papers for the Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT)
- FHWA Focus Magazine with topics on Intelligent Compaction, Sustainable Pavements, Warranties, and SuperPave Implementation, and Construction
- Building Materials Journal with topics on Intelligent Compaction, IC Data Management, Warranties, and Cold Planing best practices.
- International publications include the Canadian Technical Asphalt Association (CTAA), the International Society of Asphalt Pavements (ISAP), and the Geotechnical Association of China (GeoHunan) on articles related to pavements, materials and evolving technologies.
Training, Seminars and Workshops
Most of my training experiences include presentations regarding the use of Quality Assurance and Statistical Specifications to comply with the Quality Assurance regulations, pavement warranties that are practicable, as well as training for the National Highway Institute on multiple topics and for international visitors to the US. I have prepared training materials on SuperPave Technology for Universities and worked with various national associations on the advancement of new technologies such as:
- Gallivan V.L., Hansen D., Gardner M., Hot Mix Asphalt for Seniors and Graduate Students, CD/ROM Publication FHWA-IF-04-014, Washington, D.C., January 2005.
- Gallivan V.L., Hanson D., Gardner M., Hot Mix Asphalt for the Undergraduate, CD/ROM Publication FHWA-RD-99-073, Washington, D.C., April 1999.
I was the principle author for FHWA on the development and principle instructor for seven (7) one-day Warranty Training seminars across the country for State and Local government representatives. I also conducted 29 one-day Percent-Within-Limits (PWL) workshops in 26 states for state and local government representatives.
I have received various awards related to my long term support of the Pavement and Materials Program from the Federal Highway Administration. In 2013, I received the 2013 Pavement & Materials Career Achievement Excellence Award in recognition of sustained commitment and lasting impact to the Pavement & Materials community. In 2014, I was honored to receive the Distinguished Service Award for my dedication and service to the transportation community.
What I can provide for you.
As an experienced asphalt pavement consultant, I can provide project development, pavement design, and construction field support for agencies and contractors as well as pavement evaluation and forensic evaluation.
I have worked for the Government for over 42 years and it has given me a national perspective in various areas. I don’t have all the answers to every question, but I have developed a network of national and international contacts to provide assistance whenever needed.
Contact me to get started.